This article covers the process of setting up Blackboard Collaborate Online Rooms, as well as accessing the room. For detailed instructions on using Blackboard Collaborate, visit KU’s Blackboard Collaborate webpage!
Setting up an online room
- On the course homepage, click “Communications” in the NavBar and choose “Online Rooms” from the list.
- Click “New Room” to create a new online room session.
- Give the room a name and enter a description, if desired.
- Set the “Room Visibility” and then set the “Availability” using the date and time fields.
Restricted Room - Only invited attendees of the room can view the room and its archive. To add attendees, click the “Add Attendances” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Set the “Advanced Properties.” You may need to click “Show Advanced Properties” to display the options.
- Determine if “Attendees raise their hand on entry.” This will allow you to determine the order in which students accessed the room.
- Determine if “All attendees join as Moderators.” This gives attendees instructor-role privileges in the room and is not recommended for general online sessions. This setting would be used when setting up an online room for a group for collaborative work time.
- Determine if “Participants have unrestricted access to resources.” This means participants can access room resources (such as files and slides) at any time during the room.
- Determine if “Moderators can view all private chats.” This will allow the moderator to view all chats in the room. This is recommended.
- Also set “Early Room Entry” to determine how far in advance users may enter the online room.
- Set “Archive Mode.” By default, this is set to manual and requires the moderator to start and stop the session recording. Set this to automatic if you’d like for recordings to automatically start and stop upon moderator entry and exit.
- If desired, enable “Email Notifications” for online room creation.
- Click “Save” to close the setup and return to the Online Room page or click “Save and Join” to join the room now.
Accessing an Online Room
- To join a room and to launch Blackboard Collaborate, click the “Join” icon.
Note: You must disable your pup-up blocker, or allow the Blackboard popup, in order for the Collaborate launcher to open. You can disable your popup blocker in your browser preferences. Depending on your current Java, you may also be prompted to update to the newest version of Java.
- If you do not have the “Blackboard Collaborate Launcher” currently installed on your computer, you will be asked to download the launcher. Be sure the correct operating system (Windows/Mac) is selected and then click “Download.” If you already have Collaborate installed on your computer, skip to step 4.
- Save the installation file and open the Launcher. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- After completing the installation, return to your browser and click "Join."
- The session file will download. Open it by clicking “Ok.” The file should automatically open in the Launcher. If it does not open automatically, locate the file in your “Downloads” folder and double-click it to open it.