This tutorial covers Release Conditions. This course management tool can help guide the flow of student learning by allowing instructors to control when and how course content is released to students. When release conditions are set, students can only access an item if the set criteria are met.
Release Conditions are available for content, discussions, assignment folder, quizzes, checklists, and news items. However, the process of adding restrictions and release conditions to content items and modules is slightly different. See the section dedicated to content release conditions below.
Release Conditions (Discussions, Dropbox, Quizzes, Checklists, News)
- To add restrictions to a particular item, enter the edit screen for the item.
- Navigate to the “Restrictions” tab at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to ‘Release Conditions.’ To attach one of your existing release conditions, click “Attach Existing.” To set up new release conditions now, click “Create and Attach.”
- Select the Condition Type from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Condition Details that correspond to the condition type.
- Click “Create” to attach the release condition.
- The release condition will appear. To add another condition, repeat this process.
If you attach multiple conditions, determine whether users must satisfy “all conditions” or “any conditions” to access this item.
- To remove a condition, click the corresponding “x.” To remove all conditions, click “Remove All Conditions.”
- After adding release conditions, be sure to “Save and Close” the page.
Content Release Conditions
- Enter the desire module. To add restrictions, click “Add dates and restrictions” under the module name.
- To create a new release condition, click “Create” under ‘Release Conditions.’ To browse for your exiting conditions, click “Browse.”
- After adding restrictions or release conditions to a module, be sure to click “Update” before leaving the page.
- You can also add restrictions and release conditions to an individual item. Click the “Actions Arrow” next to the item and choose “Edit Properties In-Place.” Then, follow the same steps as adding restrictions to a module.