This article covers the process of adding a Wiki to your course. Journals, Blogs, & Wikis are integrated with D2L via an external learning tool called Campus Pack. The first part of this document covers creating a link to Campus Pack, while the second documents the process of setting up a Wiki.
Adding a link to Campus Pack
- From the D2L Content area, navigate to, or create, a module that will house the Campus Pack link to Journals, Blogs, & Wikis. Once inside the module, click the “Existing Activities” button and choose “External Learning Tools” from the list.
- Select “Campus Pack Collaboration Space” from the list of possible External Learning Tools.
- A link to the external learning tool, Campus Pack, will appear in your module as ”Campus Pack Collaboration Space”. This link will serve as the main point of access to Campus Pack for both students and instructors.
Tip: For optimal viewing, it is recommended that you set Campus Pack to open as an external resource. With this setting, Campus Pack opens in a new browser window, separate from D2L. This allows for easier navigation inside the tool, as well as easy access to return to D2L. To enable this setting, click the “Actions Arrow” next to the “Journals, Blogs & Wikis” link in the module and choose “Edit Properties in Place.”
After the properties pages loads, check the box “Open as External Resource.” You will see a note that states, “Users progress is not tracked for external resources.” For typical links, this means that you will not be able to use D2L’s User Progress tool to track user time and completion. However, Campus Pack has its own progress tracker that tracks every change a user makes to a Wiki, Journal, or Blog.
Setting up Wikis
- After changing the link properties, you will need to refresh your page in order to activate the link. Once the link turns blue again, click on the link to access Campus Pack. Once on the Campus Pack page, click the “Add Content” button to set up a new tool.
- Choose “Wiki” from the list of available tools.
Enter a title and description for the Wiki and then click “Add.”
Note: If you want to create group or individual Wikis, see the Group or Individual Wikis article.
- Once you create the Wiki, you will be taken to that Wiki’s main page. To begin adding content to a Wiki, click the “New Page” button to create a page.
- Give the page a name and then click “Add Page.”
- Use the editor to create content for the Wiki page. Once you are finished creating content, click “Save & Exit.”
- To return to the Campus Pack main page, click on the course name link above the Wiki title. You can repeat this process to create additional Wikis, if needed.