Overview:This article covers the process of adding a Journal to your course. Journals, Blogs, & Wikis are integrated with D2L via an external learning tool called Campus Pack. The first part of this document covers creating a link to Campus Pack, while the second covers the process of setting up student journals.
Note: Journals are private. Only the instructor and student owner can edit and view a journal.
Adding a link to Campus Pack
- From the D2L Content area, navigate to, or create, a module that will house the Campus Pack link to Journals, Blogs, & Wikis. Once inside the module, click the “Existing Activities” button and choose “External Learning Tools” from the list.
- Select “Campus Pack Collaboration Space” from the list of possible External Learning Tools.
- A link to the external learning tool, Campus Pack, will appear in your module as ”Campus Pack Collaboration Space”. This link will serve as the main point of access to Campus Pack for both students and instructors.
Setting up Journals
- After changing the link properties, you will need to refresh your page in order to activate the link. Click on the link to access Campus Pack. Once on the Campus Pack page, click the “Add Content” button to set up a new tool.
- Choose “Journal” from the list of available tools.
Enter a title and description for the journal and then click “Add.”
Note: Since journals are private by nature, there are no deployment settings. Each student in the class will only be able to see his/her own entries to the journal. The course instructor(s) will be able to see all student entries.
Viewing Student Journal Entries
- When you return to the journal after student participation, you will see journal entries for all students that have participated. You can also look for entries by a specific user by changing the “Authors” drop-down menu.
- To view the entire entry and to leave comments, click on the journal entry title.
- You can leave comments for the student using the editor at the bottom. Be sure to comment using the AUTHOR section so that your students will be able to see the feedback.
- You can also add your own entry that will appear in all student journals by clicking the “Add Entry” button. Use the editor to compose your journal entry.