Online Rooms are provided by a program called Blackboard Collaborate.
Blackboard Collaborate is a program that is installed on your computer
and works together with D2L to provide access to live online class
This article provides information on joining an online room, as well as installing the software for first time users.
Accessing an online room
- On the course homepage, click “Communications” > "Online Rooms" in the NavBar.
Note: Your instructor may have decided to include a link to the online room somewhere in the Content area of D2L. Either method of accessing the online room is fine.
- At the bottom of the page, you will see a list rooms. Open rooms will have a “Join” link. Click the “Join” link.
Note: The Blackboard Collaborate Launcher utilizes popups. Be sure to allow the pop-up, or disable all pop-up windows.
- If you do not have the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher installed on
your computer, you will be prompted to download the launcher. If you
already have the launcher installed, skip to Step 7.
Ensure “Windows” is selected and then click “Download.”
- Save the installation file to your computer and then open the file from your system Downloads.
- Follow the setup process.
- After completing the installation process, return to your web browser and click the “Join” button to download the session.
- The session file will download to your machine. Open the session file. The file will open in the Launcher application.
For detailed instructions on using Blackboard Collaborate, visit KU’s Blackboard Collaborate webpage.